NESTING BIRD MANAGEMENT
Beware of Ground Nesting Birds this Spring
In addition to managing birds that may be nesting on or in buildings, we urge our client’s to be particularly aware of ground-nesting birds during the spring and summer months. Most construction projects look to start in the spring as the promise of longer daylight hours and warmer drier weather bode well for outdoor construction works.
This is also the time that most bird species in the UK are starting to enter their nesting seasons. It is when the birds do start to nest that your construction projects can be brought to a halt for the main part of the year through until the end of August, at which time most of the birds will be finishing their breeding.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?
Adhering to UK Law & Regulation
All bird species in the UK are protected by law under the Countryside and Wildlife Act 1981. It is an offence (with certain exceptions) to:
• intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird
• intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird whilst it is in use or being built
• intentionally take or destroy the egg of any wild bird
• intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird
TAKE THE RIGHT COURSE OF ACTION
Don’t risk the welfare of nesting birds
The local planning authority (LPA) has a statutory duty to consider the conservation, protection and enhancement of biodiversity when determining a planning application within the UK
In turn, this requires most planning developments to provide an Ecological Assessment
Where an ecological assessment identifies the need for mitigation, European Protected Species Mitigation licences, precautionary methods of working, mitigation or compensation measures, then proposals for these must be provided along with the planning application submission.
Your operations must not impact upon any nesting birds as you will be held legally responsible for any such action. Pestpro Bird Solutions can help you here to understand the minefield of legislation that surrounds Wildlife law.
As sites are prepared for development then this is when nesting birds are in danger of being disturbed or even worse abandon their nest sites due to the disturbance.
Pestpro Bird Solutions carry out effective mitigation programmes from March through to August in order to identify and log any birds in courtship that may go on to nest within the operational area and then to deliver a range of effective solutions to enable your project to roll out smoothly whilst staying within the Law.
WHAT COMES NEXT?
Planned Mitigation programmes (as necessary)
PestPro Bird solutions skilled team members can design an operational mitigation plan in order for your projects to run smoothly whilst we deal with the wildlife welfare issues and law, we can provide you with the following services for your project:
• Legislative and licensing Consultants
• Operational programmes designed for Bird management operations – ground nesting displacement
• Bird Surveys
• GPS Data Mapping data imputed into GIS reports
• Habitat management – Horticultural services
• Environment Conservation – Surveys & build services to create alternative safe zones to support involved species
• Bird strike mitigation programmes
• Risk assessment management
Our teams will design and deliver bird mitigation programmes that include habitat management zones and monitoring. Our team is uniquely qualified to understand bird behaviour and how to deliver legal and effective bird management programmes.